
Kelly and I started to freak out that we only had 2 weekends left in England together. We have this need to see everything we possibly can before we head back because we don't know the next time we'll be back!!! Scary thought!!
Since this was the last weekend our Rail Pass was valid we thought we would go out with a bang. Saturday we decided to head to Cardiff, Wales for the day. It was a 9 hour return trip and we had about 4 hours in the city of Cardiff. First of all I just wanted to tell you that Wales is its own country, Kelly and I didn't know that. It gets confusing around what is included in the UK and still considered its own country. However, we have learned that Scotland and Wales are their own countries but included in Great Britain along with England and Northern Ireland.
Anyways, Cardiff was beautiful...we found it alot like Scotland. We visited Cardiff Castle first and that was a sight. The last family to have owned it was The Stuarts and their decorating style was quite unique but very enjoyable. I guess Mr. Stuart was ahead of his time and he believed in women going to University (his daughter was the first women to graduate with a Bachelor's of Sailing), he didn't believe in hunting (he has animal themes all over the castle) and he loved his wife (very uncommon in those days). He also loved to spend his money, especially on his homes. Most of these rooms were built over 200 years ago and NONE of them have been restored since!!!! A testament to the craftsmanship put into each room. Unfortuately we weren't allowed to take pics inside the castle, but if you go to this website http://www.cardiffcastle.com/castle.htm you can see the rooms on the tour. Just click...THE PRESENT and then Virtual Tour. My favorite rooms were the library and the winter smoking room.
The Keep at Cardiff Castle...

Finally found my knight in shining....
Ok, blogger won't let me post anymore pictures at the moment so I'll try again tomorrow. We just got back from Dover today (Sunday), I'll try to post that tomorrow too.

3 comments:
Wow...I cant get over how much that castle looks like my house...it's eerie :) Looks like an amazing time! PS I beat Jo
Beat me? Who is keeping track? Oh Melissa...what am I going to do with you?
LB, The Stuarts' castle eh? Verra interesting. I love Jamie. Verra exciting. I love Jamie. All of your blogs remind me of Jamie. I love Jamie.
Jo...you need medical help:-)
Love,
LB
Post a Comment